All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNat Stonebridge is a thirtyish divorcee who, because of her sexy good looks and incorruptible disregard for convention, has stayed in trouble most of her life. Stranded at home in Philippi, a small town in the Mississippi Delta, after a divorce from her well-to-do husband, she is broke, bored, and unconcerned for anyone except herself. Looking for excitement, she becomes involved with Floyd Shotwell, the strange, solitary son of a rich and ruthless businessman. By turns ironic and funny and threatening as the raw land in which it takes place, the couple's story moves toward a violent climax in which t only Nat's physical safety, but the financial security of her family, are at stake. Douglas explores the theme of moral commitment as Nat is confronted with a decision, a sacrifice, which she kws will earn her only contempt. In turn, her friend, the gentle and reflective Wilburn Griffith, is forced to face the obsessive Shotwell with a weapon he abhors.
- Author BiographyEllen Douglas is the author of numerous novels and a collection of essays, Witnessing. She is the recipient of the 2000 American Academy of Arts and Letters Award in Literature.
- Author(s)Ellen Douglas
- PublisherUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Date of Publication30/09/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleBanner Books Series
- Place of PublicationJackson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight401 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $55.12Trending at AU $56.46
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.77
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.14
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.07
- AU $59.86Trending at AU $63.64
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.52
- AU $47.07Trending at AU $49.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.