Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $29.01Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $41.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe third vel in Jones's classic World War II trilogy: a moving story of four World War II infantrymen coping with the difficulties of recovering at an army hospital and learning to readjust to the home front At the end of a long journey across the Pacific, a ship catches sight of California. On board are hundreds of injured soldiers, survivors of the American infantry's battle to wrest the South Seas from the Japanese Empire. As the men on deck cheer their imminent return to their families, wives, and favorite girls, four stay below, unable to join in the celebration. These men are broken by war and haunted by what they learned there of the savagery of mankind. As they convalesce in a hospital in Memphis, the pain of that kwledge will torment them far worse than any wound. The third of James Jones's epics based on his life in the army, this posthumously published vel draws on his own experiences to depict the horrors of war and their persistence even after the jungle is left behind. Jones was a powerful naturalistic chronicler of certain essential realities of warfare and of the responses of men at war. -The New York Times Book Review Few men write as effectively about the American army as James Jones. -Newsweek The only one of my contemporaries who I felt had more talent than myself was James Jones. And he has also been the only writer of any time for whom I felt any love. -Norman Mailer James Jones (1921-1977) was one of the most accomplished American authors of the World War II generation. He served in the U.S. Army from 1939 to 1944, and was present at the attack on Pearl Harbor as well as the battle for Guadalcanal, where he was decorated with a purple heart and bronze star. Jones's experiences informed his epic vels From Here to Eternity and The Thin Red Line. His other works include Some Came Running, The Pistol, Go to the Widow-Maker, The Ice-Cream Headache and Other Stories, The Merry Month of May, A Touch of Danger, Whistle, and To the End of the War-a book of previously unpublished fiction.
- Author BiographyJames Jones (1921 1977) was one of the most accomplished American authors of the World War II generation. He served in the U.S. Army from 1939 to 1944, and was present at the attack on Pearl Harbor as well as the battle for Guadalcanal, where he was decorated with a purple heart and bronze star. Jones s experiences informed his epic novels From Here to Eternity and The Thin Red Line. His other works include Some Came Running, The Pistol, Go to the Widow-Maker, The Ice-Cream Headache and Other Stories, The Merry Month of May, A Touch of Danger, Whistle, and To the End of the War a book of previously unpublished fiction.
- Author(s)James Jones
- PublisherOpen Road Media
- Date of Publication10/05/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleWorld War II Trilogy
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOpen Road Media
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight649 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.66
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.