All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book concentrates on three vels set in the rapidly changing white-collar milieu of Berlin during the Weimar Republic. All three vels are concerned with the disarray, anguish and tension of commercial Angestellten - figures who are involved in selling, advertising, and other growing consumer-orientated industries. Focusing on the socially critical import of the narrative and characterization, it is argued that much of the everyday experiences of the protagonists is shaped by commercial influences which penetrate their jobs, their places of entertainment and their private and public relationships in very subtle, but netheless powerful and often damaging ways. The study t only emphasizes connections and parallels between the vels which have frequently been overlooked. By examining contemporary developments in the Berlin entertainment world, the commercialist ethos and the architecture of Neue Sachlichkeit, it also sets them in several interrelated contexts yielding new perspectives on the relationship between the vels and the society and culture of Weimar Berlin.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Deborah Smail was born in London in 1968. She studied German and History of Art at University College London and was awarded her Ph.D. there in 1996.
- Author(s)Deborah Smail
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/12/1998
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleBritische und Irische Studien zur Deutschen Sprache und Literatur/British and Irish Studies in German Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 16
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published1998
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Noteill.
- Weight350 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.