All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe budget is the main tool used to allocate scarce public resources, and it is in the context of the budget process that politicians must make trade-offs between different policy priorities. The characteristics of the budget process determine t only the sustainability of fiscal accounts but also their adaptability, efficiency, and representativeness. This volume describes the budget practices, both formal and informal, in ten countries of Latin America and explains fiscal results in terms of these four features. The country studies identify the actors involved in budget policymaking and distinguish their incentives. The studies also present the laws and regulations that affect the incentives and behavior of each actor, as well as the transactions these actors engage in from a general equilibrium perspective. Equally important, and a central focus of each study, is the interaction among the different actors during the budget process. Through this unique framework, the authors identify the role that the budget process may have in the broader policymaking game as a crucial arena to carry out key political transactions.
- Author BiographyMark Stephen Hallerberg is Professor of Public Management and Political Economy, Hertie School of Governance. Carlos Scartascini is Senior Economist in the Research Department, Inter-American Development Bank, USA. Ernesto Stein is Regional Economic Advisor, Country Department Central America, Mexico, Panama, and Dominican Republic, Inter-American Development Bank, USA.
- Author(s)Carlos Scartascini,Ernesto Stein,Mark Hallerberg
- PublisherInter-American Development Bank
- Date of Publication25/09/2009
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleDavid Rockefeller/ Inter-American Development Bank S.
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintInter-American Development Bank
- Content Note30 line illustrations, 11 tables
- Weight464 g
- Width154 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.53
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.