All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWe look around and feel as if book culture as we kw it is crumbling to dust, but there's one important thing to keep in mind: as we kw it. What happens if we separate the idea of the book from the experience it has traditionally provided? Lynn Coady challenges booklovers addicted to the physical book to confront their darkest fears about the digital world and the future of reading. Is the all-pervasive internet turning readers into web-surfing automatons and books themselves into museum pieces? The bogeyman of techlogical change has haunted humans ever since Plato warned about the dangers of the written word, and every generation is convinced its youth will bring about the end of civilization. In Who Needs Books?, Coady suggests that, even though digital advances have long been associated with the erosion of literacy, recent techlogies have t debased our culture as much as they have simply changed the way we read.
- Author BiographyLynn Coady is an award-winning author of six books of fiction. Her first novel, Strange Heaven, was nominated for a Governor General's Award, and in 2011, her novel The Antagonist was shortlisted for the prestigious Scotiabank Giller Prize, an award she won in 2013 for her short story collection Hellgoing. Coady lives in Toronto, where she writes for television.
- Author(s)Lynn Coady
- PublisherUniversity of Alberta Press
- Date of Publication07/03/2016
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Series TitleCLC Kreisel Lecture Series
- Place of PublicationAlberta
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Alberta Press
- Weight110 g
- Width133 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Introduction byPaul Kennedy
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.