All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWho Speaks for the River? tells the true story of the collision between power and justice in the desperate final battle between the Alberta Government, Friends of the Oldman and members of the Piikani First Nation surrounding the building of Alberta's Oldman River dam. Environmentalist Martha Kostuch uses the law and Woodstock of the Environment, the largest environmental rally in Canada to stop construction of the dam. Piikani First Nation activist Milton Born With A Tooth and his group The Lonefighters, use protests, bulldozers to divert the Oldman River, and one shotgun which Milton fires at police. Those shots result in Milton facing an unfair trial, which one observer characterizes as what Native people have faced for a century. My world cant be documented on your white paper with words. Your dictionaries reveal the white society and show how whites go in circles. Words simply refer to words and are only excuses for what's real. The real world is about fresh air as medicine going into my lungs and the enjoyment of each meal as my last one. --Milton Born With A Tooth, from a Southern Alberta Jail, while waiting for his first trial.
- Author BiographyRobert Girvan lived in Alberta and became a lover of the land. He studied politics and philosophy at the University of Alberta, and law at the University of Victoria. Between 1992 and 2004 Robert practiced law in Toronto-eight years as a Criminal Defence lawyer, and four years as a Crown Prosecutor. Since 2008, Robert has combined writing, working as a Criminal Defence lawyer, and raising his two sons. He lives in Toronto, Ontario with his wife and their children.
- Author(s)Robert Girvan
- PublisherFifth House Publishers
- Date of Publication05/06/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEnvironment & Ecology: General Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFifth House Publishers
- Weight621 g
- Width157 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.