All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionApproaching the Hebrew Bible as a work of literary art, Yair Mazor examines its many genres, including historical narratives, poetic narratives, poetry, psalms, and songs. Line drawings from a late nineteenth-century Bible illustrate many of the most famous scenes in scripture, suggesting ather aesthetic layer of the text. By breaking the Bible into constituent parts, Mazor traces the range of its writing styles, reconfiguring the work as a literary collage and an artistic masterpiece. He shows how the aesthetics of the texts that comprise the Bible serve its over-arching message, and he develops a literary portrait of its authors by decoding their cryptic aesthetic devices.
- Author BiographyYair Mazor is professor of Hebrew and Biblical literature and was the first director of the Center for Jewish Studies and the Certificate Program in Jewish Studies at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. His many books include The Poetry of Asher Reich: Portrait of a Hebrew Poet and Pain, Pining, and Pine Trees: Contemporary Hebrew Poetry, both available from the University of Wisconsin Press.
- Author(s)Yair Mazor
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2009
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Content Note32 b/w illustrations, 20 charts
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.