Who's #1?: The Science of Rating and Ranking by Carl D. Meyer, Amy N. Langville (Hardback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $34.01Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.84+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA website's ranking on Google can spell the difference between success and failure for a new business. NCAA football ratings determine which schools get to play for the big money in postseason bowl games. Product ratings influence everything from the clothes we wear to the movies we select on Netflix. Ratings and rankings are everywhere, but how exactly do they work? Who's #1? offers an engaging and accessible account of how scientific rating and ranking methods are created and applied to a variety of uses. Amy Langville and Carl Meyer provide the first comprehensive overview of the mathematical algorithms and methods used to rate and rank sports teams, political candidates, products, Web pages, and more. In a series of interesting asides, Langville and Meyer provide fascinating insights into the ingenious contributions of many of the field's pioneers. They survey and compare the different methods employed today, showing why their strengths and weaknesses depend on the underlying goal, and explaining why and when a given method should be considered. Langville and Meyer also describe what can and can't be expected from the most widely used systems. The science of rating and ranking touches virtually every facet of our lives, and w you don't need to be an expert to understand how it really works. Who's #1? is the definitive introduction to the subject. It features easy-to-understand examples and interesting trivia and historical facts, and much of the required mathematics is included.
- Author BiographyAmy N. Langville is associate professor of mathematics at the College of Charleston. Carl D. Meyer is professor of mathematics at North Carolina State University. They are the authors of Google's PageRank and Beyond: The Science of Search Engine Rankings (Princeton).
- Author(s)Amy N. Langville,Carl D. Meyer
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication06/02/2012
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note25 halftones. 47 line illus. 60 tables.
- Weight485 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.13New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.87New
- AU $6.50Used
- AU $31.93New
- AU $20.05New
- AU $24.96New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.75Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $38.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.