All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe European Union is t a state, but a collection of states. From the outset, this European project has struggled to turn its many histories into one unifying narrative. United more by what they rejected than by their aspirations, Europe today is dedicated - in principle if t in practice - to the brotherhood of man, to unity in diversity, and to liberty under law. Even as it struggles to deliver on its many contradictory promises, the EU attempts what many nations have attempted before: to control the past by recasting major events like the revolutions of 1989 as milestones in a common history, shared by all the people of Europe. In Whose Liberty Is It Anyway? Stefan Auer exposes the limits of the current European project by interrogating some of its many incongruities, particularly when it comes to its commitment to freedom. The author argues that the calls for more European solidarity are t convincing when Europe's poor are asked to pay for the mistakes of those who are more fortunate, and European citizenship appears hollow when basic EU freedoms apply to some citizens more than to others. Europe's unity, Auer asserts, can only be maintained by accepting its limitations and by beginning to fulfill some of its many promises.
- Author BiographyStefan Auer is the Jean Monnet Chair in EU Interdisciplinary Studies and a senior lecturer in history and politics at La Trobe University, Melbourne.
- Author(s)Stefan Auer
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication27/07/2012
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleManifestos for the Twenty-first Century
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Weight100 g
- Width113 mm
- Height172 mm
- Spine9 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.