Why Do I Love These People?: Understanding, Surviving, and Creating Your Own Family by Po Bronson (Paperback / softback)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.25+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $14.95+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionWe all have an imaginary definition of a great family. We imagine what it would be like to belong to such a family. No fights over the holidays. No getting on one ather's nerves. Respect for individual identity. Mutual support, without being intrusive. So many people believe they are disqualified from having a better family experience, primarily because they compare their own family with the mythic ideal, and their reality falls short. Is that a fair standard to judge against? In the pages of Why Do I Love These People?, Po Bronson takes us on an extraordinary journey. It begins on a river in Texas, where a mother gets trapped underwater and has to bargain for her own life and that of her kids. Then, a father and his daughter return to their tiny rice-growing village in China, hoping to rekindle their love for each other inside the walls of his childhood home. Next, a son puts forth a riddle, asking us to understand what his first experience of God has to do with his Mexican American mother. Every step-and every family-on this journey is real. Calling upon his gift for powerful nfiction narrative and philosophical insight, Bronson explores the incredibly complicated feelings that we have for our families. Each chapter introduces us to two people-a father and his son, a daughter and her mother, a wife and her husband-and we come to kw them as intimately as characters in a vel, following the story of their relationship as they struggle resiliently through the kinds of hardships all families endure. Some of the people manage to save their relationship, while others find a better life only after letting the relationship go. From their efforts, the wisdom in this book emerges. We are left feeling emotionally raw but grounded-and better prepared to love, through both hard times and good time. In these twenty mesmerizing stories, we discover what is essential and elemental to all families and, in doing so, slowly abolish the fantasies and fictions we have about those we fight to stay connected to. In Why Do I Love These People?, Bronson shows us that we are united by our yearnings and aspirations: Family is t our dividing line, but our common ground. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyPo Bronson travels the country recording the stories of real people who have struggled to answer life's biggest questions. To learn more about his research, visit www.pobronson.com. He is the author of five books-two novels and three works of nonfiction-and he has written for television, magazines, radio, and newspapers, including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and NPR's Morning Edition. He lives in San Francisco with his family. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Po Bronson
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMarriage, Family & Other Relationships
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight286 g
- Width148 mm
- Height193 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.