All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBattles, protests, standoffs, strikes. We hear about them all the time. On the surface, a battle and a protest don't seem to have much in common, but they're really just two ways of handling a dispute. One uses violence, the other uses signs and picket lines. But both start as a disagreement between two groups of people. Both are conflicts. Since it's impossible for people to agree on everything all the time, conflicts naturally pop up every day, all over the world. Sometimes they turn into full-blown wars, which can be a lot trickier to understand than the conflicts that pop up in everyday life, but every conflict has some things in common. Using real world examples, Why Do We Fight? teaches kids to recognize the structures, factors, and complex histories that go into creating conflicts, whether personal or global as well as the similarities between both. They'll be given tools to seek out information, enabling them to make informed opinions while learning to respect that others may form different ones. From culture clashes and trade disputes to disagreements about how to govern, Why Do We Fight? insists that the key to fulfilling humankind's wish for world peace lies in how we choose to deal with conflict and provides a genuine cause for optimism in the face of an at-times frightening world.
- Author BiographyNiki Walker is curious about what s happening in the world and why, so writing and editing children s non-fiction books isn t just her profession; it s her passion. She s authored over 20 titles and edited more than 100, including Off to Class by Susan Hughes. She has contributed to projects for Owlkids, CBC, Oxford University Press, McGraw-Hill Ryerson, and more. She lives in Toronto.
- Author(s)Niki Walker
- Date of Publication10/09/2013
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Country of PublicationCanada
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width193 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $168.69
- AU $15.16Trending at AU $23.73
- AU $33.79Trending at AU $49.70
- AU $24.46Trending at AU $29.56
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $6.51
- AU $20.71Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $19.00
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.