About this product
- DescriptionWritten specifically for siblings of children with Tourette Syndrome (TS), Why Do You Do That? is an age-appropriate source of information for children and adolescents aged 8 to 16. Uttom Chowdhury and Mary Robertson describe tics and Tourette's in clear, child-friendly terms and provide a simple explanation of the biological causes. Other chapters focus on living with someone who has TS, associated features such as obsessive-compulsive disorder, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and aggression, and what siblings can do to help. The authors also offer practical tips on how to deal with issues such as problems at school and bullying. This book will prove invaluable for brothers and sisters of children with TS, as well as parents and other family members.
- Author BiographyUttom Chowdhury works as a Consultant in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry for Bedfordshire and Luton Community Mental Health Trust. He is also an Honorary Consultant for the Social Communication Disorders Clinic at Great Ormond Street Hospital, London. He has run several groups for parents of children with Tourette Syndrome and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. His clinical and research interests include Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorders and parental experiences of looking after children with neuro-developmental disorders. Mary Robertson is Emeritus Professor of Neuropsychiatry at University College London and Visiting Professor and Honorary Consultant Neuropsychiatrist at St George's Hospital and Medical School, where she is a member of the Tourette Syndrome (TS) clinic. She has authored four and edited two books, and over 300 medical publications. In 2006, she was awarded the Doctor of Science in Medicine Degree. She is Honorary Medical Advisor to TS Associations in Canada, Germany, Ireland, Italy and the UK, and a member of the American Tourette Syndrome Association International Genetic Consortium. She regularly gives lectures nationally and internationally, and has been an advisor to the World Health Organization on stress in neurological disorders and TS. She has been awarded numerous research prizes and grants and has supervised higher degrees on TS. She has appeared in the media about TS. In 1976, she sailed in a Transatlantic Yacht Race and a circumnavigation in square rigged sailing ship. She has had over 80 poems and 5 photographs published.
- Author(s)Mary Robertson,Uttom Chowdhury
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication23/02/2006
- SubjectReference & Home Learning
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Note17 illustrations
- Weight172 g
- Width173 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Illustrator(s)Liz Whallett
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.