All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his latest book, fairy tales expert Jack Zipes explores the question of why some fairy tales work and others don't, why the fairy tale is uniquely capable of getting under the skin of culture and staying there. Why, in other words, fairy tales stick. Long an advocate of the fairy tale as a serious genre with wide social and cultural ramifications, Jack Zipes here makes his strongest case for the idea of the fairy tale t just as a collection of stories for children but a profoundly important genre. Why Fairy Tales Stick contains two chapters on the history and theory of the genre, followed by case studies of famous tales (including Cinderella, Sw White, and Bluebeard), followed by a summary chapter on the problematic nature of traditional storytelling in the twenty-first century.
- Author BiographyJack Zipes is Professor of German at the University of Minnesota. An acclaimed translator and scholar of children's literature and culture, his many books include Hans Christian Andersen: The Misunderstood Storyteller and Speaking Out: Storytelling and Creative Drama for Children, both published by Routledge.
- Author(s)Jack David Zipes
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/09/2006
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note7 black & white illustrations
- Weight657 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.