All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHe's studied Jiu-Jitsu with the Gracies in Brazil, studied Muay Thai among Thailand's underground fighters, and instructed special operatives in the Israeli Defense Force. He is Jay Dee B. J. Penn, considered by many to be the best mixed martial artist in the world. In Why I Fight , the ultimate champion breaks his deeply guarded silence for the first time, inviting fans into his private world both in the ring and on Hawaii, where he lives and trains. Why I Fight is a breathtaking journey through Penn's grueling mental and physical preparations as he prepares for the big fight. It is also a deeply personal look at this intense, dedicated man's rise from troubled youth to the first American-born winner of the World Jiu-Jitsu Championships in Brazil. As this kick-ass training diary and memoir reveals, the road to success wasn't easy. Despite being the most talented athlete on the mixed martial arts circuit, he was, for years, one of the most undisciplined fighters and a torious hothead whose reckless behavior nearly cost him his reputation and his career. Now, at 30, Penn reflects on his personal and professional maturation, as well as his philosophy of fighting, his controversial opinions on the UFC and mixed martial arts organizations, his training secrets, his interesting family life, his love for the place he calls home, and his many fights inside the Octagon.
- Author BiographyBJ Penn is a former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion and is considered one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world. In 2000, he became the first and only non-Brazilian-born winner of the World Jiu-Jitsu Championship in the black belt category. Penn is only the second fighter (after Randy Couture) to win UFC titles in two different weight classes. He lives in Hilo, Hawaii. David Weintraub is a freelance journalist, writer, and producer who has done freelance work for the UFC.
- Author(s)Dave Weintraub,Jay Dee B.J. Penn
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication20/04/2010
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIt Books
- Content Note16 Page Colour Insert
- Weight390 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $29.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.