Why Iceland?: How One of the World's Smallest Countries Became the Meltdown's Biggest Casualty by Asgeir Jonsson (Hardback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $44.29Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs late as the mid 1980s, Iceland's ecomyrevolved around little else than a semi-robustcod-fishing industry. By the end of the century, however,it had transformed itself into a major player inworld finance, building an international bankingempire worth twelve times its GDP. The tiny islandnation of 300,000 was one of the global ecomy'sgreat success stories. And then everything came crashing down. Why Iceland? is the inside account of one ofthe ecomic meltdown's most fascinating andfar-reaching tragedies. As Chief Ecomist ofKaupthing Bank, the country's largest bank beforethe collapse, Asgeir Jonsson is perfectly suited toexamine Iceland's collapse in painstaking detail.He witnessed behind-the-scenes events firsthand,such as an intriguing meeting in January 2008 whena group of international hedge fund managersgathered in a bar in Reykjavik to discuss Iceland'secomy-an informal affair that eventually becamethe center of a criminal investigation by thecountry's Financial Supervisory Authority. This inside account examines the pressing issuesbehind history's biggest banking collapse: How did Iceland transform itself fromone of Europe's poorest to one of itswealthiest countries? What happened to cause the destructiof the nation's banking industry during asingle week of October 2008? Was it the result of a speculation attack by hedge funds on the nation's currency? Iceland remains the biggest casualty of theecomic downturn, and the ramifications of itscatastrophic failure reach deeply into the ecomiesof Europe, the United States, and other globalmarkets. Asgeir Jonsson offers a unique perspectiveand an expert's insight into the rise and fall of thisonce-proud banking giant. Why Iceland? provides the who, what, where, andwhen of Iceland's demise, serving as a fascinatingread and providing the understanding necessary forforecasting when and where the aftershocks willshake up markets in other parts of the world. Fearsome Vikings discovered Iceland. Hedge funds kcked it down. It was a humiliating tumble for the former financial powerhouse, which was proud of its status in Europe. A late bloomer, Iceland had been the last country in Europe to be settled, the Nordic nation rapidly caught up with its wealthier relations. It was all fine until October 2008, when country's banking system collapsed in a week. Written by an Icelandic ecomist, Why Iceland? chronicles the meltdown, in the context of the nation's history. --New York Post (A Required Reading Selection)
- Author BiographyAsgeir Jonsson is head of research and chiefeconomist at Kaupthing Bank, the biggest bank inIceland until the nation's banking collapse. He previouslyserved as assistant professor of bankingand international finance at the University ofIceland. Jonsson is the author of several booksabout the economy and history of Iceland.
- Author(s)Asgeir Jonsson
- PublisherMcGraw-Hill Education - Europe
- Date of Publication01/08/2009
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcGraw-Hill Professional
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight486 g
- Width162 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $24.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.