Why Taiwan?: Geostrategic Rationales for China's Territorial Integrity by Alan M. Wachman (Paperback, 2007)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy has the PRC been so determined that Taiwan be part of China? Why, since the 1990s, has Beijing been feverishly developing means to prevail in combat with the U.S. over Taiwan's status? Why is Taiwan worth fighting for? To answer, this book focuses on the territorial dimension of the Taiwan issue and highlights arguments made by PRC analysts about the geostrategic significance of Taiwan, rather than emphasizing the political dispute between Beijing and Taipei. It considers Beijing's quest for Taiwan since 1949 against the backdrop of recurring Chinese anxieties about the island's status since the seventeenth century. In recent years, the PRC has become dependent on international maritime commerce and has undertaken to expand considerably its navy to ensure access to the sea. PRC analysts concerned about strategy have articulated rationales for eliminating rival influences over Taiwan, the location of which is deemed as critical to China's projection of naval power. This book traces the evolution, explains the appeal, and suggests implications of the geostrategic calculations that pervade PRC strategic considerations of Taiwan.
- Author BiographyAlan M. Wachman is Associate Professor of International Politics at Tufts University. He is the author of Taiwan: National Identity and Democratization (1994), as well as chapters in multiauthored texts and journal articles pertaining to Sino-U.S. Relations, Taiwan, and cross-Strait relations.
- Author(s)Alan M. Wachman
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2007
- SubjectPolitics & Government: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleStudies in Asian Security
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Note1 figure, 1 map
- Weight376 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $27.94
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.