All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn eye-opening, myth-shattering examination of what makes us fat, from acclaimed science writer Gary Taubes. In his New York Times best seller, Good Calories, Bad Calories, Taubes argued that our diet s overemphasis on certain kinds of carbohydrates t fats and t simply excess calories has led directly to the obesity epidemic we face today. The result of thorough research, keen insight, and unassailable common sense, Good Calories, Bad Calories immediately stirred controversy and acclaim among academics, journalists, and writers alike. Michael Pollan heralded it as a vitally important book, destined to change the way we think about food. Building upon this critical work in Good Calories, Bad Calories and presenting fresh evidence for his claim, Taubes w revisits the urgent question of what s making us fat and how we can change in this exciting new book. Persuasive, straightforward, and practical, Why We Get Fat makes Taubes s crucial argument newly accessible to a wider audience. Taubes reveals the bad nutritional science of the last century, ne more damaging or misguided than the calories-in, calories-out model of why we get fat, and the good science that has been igred, especially regarding insulin s regulation of our fat tissue. He also answers the most persistent questions: Why are some people thin and others fat? What roles do exercise and genetics play in our weight? What foods should we eat, and what foods should we avoid? Packed with essential information and concluding with an easy-to-follow diet, Why We Get Fat is an invaluable key in our understanding of an international epidemic and a guide to what each of us can do about it.
- Author BiographyGary Taubes is a contributing correspondent for Science magazine, and his writing has also appeared in The Atlantic, The New York Times Magazine, and Esquire. His work has been included in The Best of the Best American Science Writing (2010), and has received three Science in Society Journalism Awards from the National Association of Science Writers, the only print journalist so recognized. He is currently a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Investigator in Health Policy Research at the University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health. He lives in Berkeley.
- Author(s)Gary Taubes
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication28/12/2010
- SubjectFitness & Diet
- Series TitleBorzoi Books
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Out-of-print date23/11/2015
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings
- Weight467 g
- Width156 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.02
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.