CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.02
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
About this product
- DescriptionIn Widows and Patriarchy Thomas McGinn begins with the view that ancient society was structured by a 'spectrum of statuses' and applies this insight to the position of women, primarily that of widows, in three historical periods: Greek and Roman antiquity, late medieval and early modern Europe, and the late nineteenth and early twentieth century West. In all these cultures widows comprise a problematic category of adult women who are tionally independent of males. Their status and role become a focus for concern about gender relations, and a particular source of anxiety because they are sexually experienced.This book examines the rights at private law, especially those regarding property and succession, ecomic privilege and its absence, freedom of movement in general, including the question of bodily integrity and fear of physical interference, and, finally, the entitlement to decide whether to remarry and to whom. Since antiquity, widows (along with orphans) have been a byword for the weak and oppressed. This book analyses the surviving evidence to assess the value of this generalization and, more broadly, to evaluate the position of widows in the societies under examination.
- Author BiographyThomas A.J. McGinn is Professor of Classical Studies, Religion, and Women's Studies at Vanderbilt University. He is currently Professor-in-Charge of the Classical School of the American Academy in Rome. He is the author of Prostitution, Sexuality, and the Law in Ancient Rome (1998), The Economy of Prostitution in the Roman World: A Study of Social History and the Brothel (2004), and co-author (with Bruce Frier) of A Casebook on Roman Family Law (2003).
- Author(s)Thomas A. J. McGinn
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication22/02/2008
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGerald Duckworth & Co Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight513 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.