All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen the Spanish explorers brought horses to North America, the horses were, in a sense, returning home. Beginning with their origins fifty million years ago, the wild horse has been traced from North America through Asia to the plains of Spain s Andalusia and then back across the Atlantic to the ranges of the American West. When given the chance, these horses simply took up residence in the landscape that their ancestors had roamed so long ago. In Wild Horses of the West, J. Edward de Steiguer provides an entertaining and well-researched look at one of the most controversial animal welfare issues of our time the protection of free-roaming horses on the West s public lands. This is the first book in decades to include the entire story of these magnificent animals, from their evolution and biology to their historical integration into conquistador, Native American, and cowboy cultures. And the story isn t over. De Steiguer goes on to address the modern issues ecology, conservation, and land management surrounding wild horses in the West today. Featuring stunning color photographs of wild horses, this extremely thorough and engaging blend of history, science, and politics will appeal to students of the American West, conservation activists, and anyone interested in the beauty and power of these striking animals.
- Author BiographyJ. Edward ( Ed ) de Steiguer is a writer and professor at the University of Arizona. He specializes in the federal lands of the American West and is an avid horse enthusiast himself. He is also the author of The Age of Environmentalism and The Origins of Modern Environmental Thought, the latter published by the University of Arizona Press.
- Author(s)J.Edward De Steiguer
- PublisherUniversity of Arizona Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2011
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationTucson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Arizona Press
- Content Notecol. Illustrations, maps
- Weight526 g
- Width178 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.