All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBig in Japan, this is a revised and updated biography of America's greatest living musician. This work includes the most comprehensive Waits discography available in print and a new chapter detailing the legendary artist's exploits in the 21st century. Legend, Bum, Genius, Con Man, Devoted husband and father, Storyteller, Inspiration, Drunk, Visionary, and The Last Living Beat - Tom Waits is all of these things. He's old eugh to be your dad and cool eugh to be your hero. And he is responsible for some of the greatest, most varied and original music to come out of the United States since Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band. Waits' life and career are indivisible. The beauty and strangeness of his music is the fulfilment and loss of his life. Like Johnny Cash, he's a singer with the rare gift of making the words on his records sound as though he has lived through each and every one of them. And like Beefheart, he inhabits a genre all of his own. A lifeline between the mission of the Beats and the self-destructive honesty of rock 'n' roll, Tom Waits has become the voice t only of several generations, but of an entire dispossessed people - a nation of Ginsbergs and Keseys whose birthright has been swallowed by corporate takeovers, jungles of white-collar office cubicles and vacuous pop. Jacobs retraces the long road that Waits has travelled and explores the music that made him a legend, reconstructing the towering myth that he has created for himself along the way. With sections on Waits' filmography (he has been acclaimed for his appearances in several table movies, including Domi ; Coffee and Cigarettes ; Short Cuts ; Rumble Fish ; and The Outsiders ), an exhaustive discography and an additional chapter updating his career in the 21st century, Wild Years is the ultimate companion to the work of the last underground hero.
- Author BiographyJay S. Jacobs is editor and co-publisher of online entertainment mag www.popentertainment.com.
- Author(s)Jay S. Jacobs
- PublisherECW Press,Canada
- Date of Publication04/01/2006
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintECW Press,Canada
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight651 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.