All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn intriguing look at the exploding phemen of unregulated private currencies and how they will change our ecomy forever Private currencies have always existed, from tes printed by individual banks to the S&H Green Stamps to Bitcoin. Today's ecomy has seen an explosion of new forms of monetary exchange t created by the federal government. Credit card companies offer points that can be traded in for a variety of goods and services, from airline miles to online store credit. Online game creators have devised new mediums of electronic exchange that turn virtual money into real money. Meanwhile, real money is increasingly going digital, where it competes with private currencies like Bitcoin. The virtual and the real ecomic worlds are intermingling more than ever before, raising the possibility that this new money might eventually replace the government-run system of dollars, euros, and yen. Edward Castrova is the leading researcher in this field, a founder of scholarly online game studies and an expert on the ecomies of virtual worlds. In this dynamic and essential work, he explores the current phemen of virtual currencies and what it will mean legally, politically, and ecomically in the future. In doing so, he provides a fascinating, often surprising discourse on the meaning of money itself-what it is, what we think it is, and how we relate to it on an emotional level.
- Author BiographyEdward Castronova is professor of media and cognitive science at Indiana University. His previous publications include Synthetic Worlds and Exodus to the Virtual World. He lives in Bloomington, IN.
- Author(s)Edward Castronova
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication20/06/2014
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight562 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.87Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.61Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.