All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionDesigned for both land and water use, this comprehensive guide helps unlock the complexity of map and chart reading as it relates to navigation. Beginning with detailed technical descriptions of the tools of navigation--a compass, an altimeter, a GPS system, and a sextant--this handbook shows how to use these tools either individually or in combination with each other to navigate any area. Factors that cause tools and techniques to fail are discussed, such as why an altimeter often shows the wrong elevation, a GPS position is sometimes off track, and the sun often points in an unexpected direction. Twenty-one real-life scenarios provide practical wisdom for even the most intrepid navigator. Specific information on using the moon for directions and the stars for position, measuring boiling water temperature for elevation, map projections, map datums, great circle routes, and the UTM/UPS grid system is included.
- Author BiographyFred Touche is a technical writer and has been an avid hiker, skier, kayaker, and mountain climber for 37 years. He lives in North Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Author(s)Fred Touche
- PublisherTouche Publishing
- Date of Publication23/07/2004
- SubjectWalking / Hiking & Activity Maps & Guides
- Place of PublicationNorth Vancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTouche Publishing
- Content Noteb/w illus & charts
- Weight226 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.