All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $49.60Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionOf all the poets of the First World War, Wilfred Owen most fires the imagination today. This biography is more than a simple account of his life - the childhood spent in the backstreets of Birkenhead and Shrewsbury, the appalling months in the trenches - it is a poet's enquiry into the workings of a poet's mind. This paperback reproduces all the widely praised illustrations of the original edition, including drawings by the poet and facsimile manuscripts of many of his greatest poems. As 'a portrait of the artist', the book has proved, as the Scotsman predicted, 'indispensable to any student of Wilfred Owen's life and work'. Called by Graham Greene 'surely one of the finest biographies of our time', Wilfred Owen won the Duff Cooper Memorial Prize, the W.H. Smith & Son Literary Award, and the E.M. Forster Award of the American Academy of Arts and Letters. In its use of verse manuscripts to reveal the working of the creative imagination, it inaugurated a new form of literary biography. This edition is revised and updated and includes a new preface by the author.
- Author BiographyJon Stallworthy, born in 1935, was educated at Rugby, in the Royal West African Frontier Force, and at Magdalen College, Oxford, where he won the Newdigate Prize of Poetry. Formerly the poetry editor of Oxford University Press, Stallworthy is professor emeritus of English at the University of Oxford, and a Fellow of the British Academy and of the Royal Society of Literature. He has published seven books of poetry. His biography of Wilfred Owen won the Duff Cooper Memorial Prize, the W. H. Smith Literary Award, and the E. M. Forster Award of the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
- Author(s)Jon Stallworthy
- Date of Publication07/11/2013
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight368 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.