All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionWilliam C. Van Horne was one of North America's most accomplished men. Born in Illiis in 1843, Van Horne started working in the railway business at a young age. In 1881 he was lured rth to Canada to become general manager of the fledgling Canadian Pacific Ralway. The railroading general pushed through construction of the CPR's transcontinental line and then went on to become the company's president. During his time with the CPR, Van Horne developed a telegraph service, launched the Empress line of Pacific steamships in 1891, and founded CP Hotels. He capped his career by opening up Cuba's interior with a railway. A man of prodigious energy and many talents, he also became Canada's foremost art collector and one of the country's leading financiers. For all of his amazing accomplishments, Van Horne was knighted in 1894. When he died church bells throughout the length and breadth of Cuba tolled to mark his passing, and when his funeral train made its way across Canada, all traffic on the CPR system was suspended for five minutes.
- Author BiographyValerie Knowles was born in Montreal and has a B.A. (Honours History) from Smith College and an M.A. (History) from McGill University. In addition to writing for newspapers, magazines, and federal government departments, she has taught history and worked as an archivist. She has published several non-fiction works, including From Telegrapher to Titan: The Life of William C. Van Horne, whichi won the 2004 University of British Columbia Medal for Canadian Biography and the 2005 City of Ottawa Book Award for Non-Fiction. Valerie lives in Ottawa.
- Author(s)Valerie Knowles
- PublisherDundurn Group Ltd
- Date of Publication07/05/2010
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDundurn Group Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight254 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.