All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a geography of Faulkner's Mississippi.Charles S. Aiken, a native of Mississippi who was born a few miles from Oxford, has been thinking and writing about the geography of Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County for more than thirty years. William Faulkner and the Southern Landscape is the culmination of that long-term scholarly project. It is a fresh approach to a much-studied writer and a provocative meditation on the relationship between literary imagination and place.Four main geographical questions shape Aiken's journey to the family seat of the Compsons and the Speses. What patterns and techniques did Faulkner use - consciously or subconsciously - to convert the real geography of Lafayette County into a fictional space? Did Faulkner intend Yoknapatawpha to serve as a microcosm of the American South? In what ways does the historical geography of Faulkner's birth-place correspond to that of the fictional world he created? Finally, what geographic legacy has Faulkner left us through the fourteen vels he set in Yoknapatawpha?With an approach, methodology, and sources primarily derived from historical geography, Aiken takes the reader on a tour of Faulkner's real and imagined worlds. The result is an informed reading of Faulkner's life and work and a refined understanding of the relation of literary worlds to the real places that inspire them.
- Author BiographyCharles S. Aiken is a professor of geography at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. He is the author of The Cotton Plantation South since the Civil War, winner of the J. B. Jackson Prize from the Association of American Geographers.
- Author(s)Charles S. Aiken
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2009
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCenter Books on the American South Series
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Note61 b&w photos, 27 maps, 2 tables
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.