All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.02
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
About this product
- DescriptionDavid Crouch's William Marshal, w in its third edition, depicts this intriguing medieval figure as a ruthless opportunist, astute courtier, manipulative politician and a brutal but efficient soldier. Born the fourth son of a mir baron, he ended his days as Earl of Pembroke and Regent of England, and was the only medieval knight to have a contemporary biography written about him. Using this biography in addition to the many other primary sources dedicated to him, the author provides a narrative of William Marshal and a survey of the times in which he lived and also considers the problems and questions posed by the History. The third edition has been extensively updated and revised, and w includes: * expanded sections on the reality of medieval tournaments and warfare as it is described in the biography * an in-depth study of Marshal's family life and children based on the latest research including material from the new edition of the Marshal family acts and letters * more on Marshal's royal patrons and contemporaries, in particular the relationship between Marshal and his nemesis, King John. William Marshal explores the world of medieval knighthood and the the aristocratic life of the times in engaging, readable prose, and is a unique resource for students of medieval history.
- Author BiographyDavid Crouch is Professor of Medieval History at the University of Hull and a Fellow of the British Academy. His recent publications include The English Aristocracy, 1070-1272: A Social Transformation4 (2011), Lost Letters of Medieval Life (2013) and The Acts and Letters of the Marshal Family, Marshals of England and Earls of Pembroke 1145-1248 (2015).
- Author(s)David Crouch
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication11/03/2016
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, 3 black & white tables, 9 black & white halftones, 3 black & white line drawings
- Weight453 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.