Willmoore Kendall: Maverick of American Conservatives by Lexington Books (Hardback, 2002)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWillmoore Kendall: Maverick of American Conservatives provides the first book-length study of a man long regarded as a founding father of American intellectual conservatism. This edited collection brings together a diverse range of perspectives on Kendall's life and work and places the post-World War II political theorist in the context of modern American conservatism. Far from providing a molithic view of Kendall's thought, the contributions illuminate an unconventional, often contradictory, thinker. The book traces the development of Kendall's body of political thought from his early years in Oxford, through his work on John Locke, to the later speculation that produced The Basic Symbols of the American Political Tradition , and analyzes the influence of Leo Strauss on his later work. Including, for the first time in print, the complete correspondence between Kendall and Strauss that significantly shaped Kendall's later work, Willmoore Kendall is a vital contribution to American intellectual history.
- Author BiographyJohn A. Murley is Professor of Political Science at the Rochester Institute of Technology. He is the coeditor of the two-volume Essays in Law and Philosophy: On The Practice of Theory (1992) and Leo Strauss, the Straussians, and the American Regime (Rowman & Littlefield, 1999). John E. Alvis is Professor of English and Director of American Studies at the University of Dallas. He is the author of a number of works including Divine Purpose and Heroic Response in Homer and Virgil: The Political Plan of Zeus (Rowman & Littlefield, 1995).
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication28/08/2002
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Content Notebibliography; index
- Weight572 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byJohn A. Murley,John E. Alvis
- Foreword byWilliam F. Buckley
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.