All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThrough histories of slavery, colonialism, apartheid and paternalism, the Dwars River Valley in South AfricaAEs Western Cape province instantiates labour exploitation and concomitant societal ills. Recently, and in line with South AfricaAEs neo-liberal development tack, investment in the valley has generally turned from wine production to property speculation. Hope for development has become pinned on the commodification of landscape as tourist and elite farming destination. The addition of real estate development to an area of agricultural production around Boschendal provides the backdrop for an investigation of the post-1994 social transformation processes in one of the most sought after landscapes in the Cape. This careful study asks how the people of the Dwars River Valley respond to changing land use and how that relates to the historical and spatial contexts of the valley. It shows, in a richly textured way, how poor people use creative tactics to survive u whether itAEs by turning to Pentecostalism, patrolling ordentlikheid [respectability] or negotiating the contradictory, gendered rms that frame respectability and entrepreneurship. By exploring Solms-Delta farm as a case study, the book also looks at how initiatives can open up real possibilities for empowerment. Speaking to the massive Western Cape Farm Strikes of 2012, this book reveals agency in the Dwars River Valley and suggests that marginalised people have t acquiesced.
- Author BiographyKees (C.S.) van der Waal is a Professor of Social Anthropology at the University of Stellenbosch working in the fields of culture and identity, the anthropology of development, and ethnography as a research method.
- PublisherUniversity of KwaZulu-Natal Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2014
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationScottsville, Kwazulu-Natal
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintUniversity of KwaZulu-Natal Press
- Weight525 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byKees C.S. Van Der Waal
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.15Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.