All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Once upon a time, a very long time ago w, about last Friday, Winnie-the-Pooh lived in a forest all by himself under the name of Sanders.' Why settle for one Winnie-the-Pooh story, when you could have the complete collection of A.A. Milne's 30 stories? Quite simply the most wonderful gift books to give a child, this elegant slipcase contains every heart-warming moment of this classic character series. Since Pooh's first appearance in publication in 1924 the bear of very little brain and his friends Piglet, Eeyore and Tigger have charmed millions of children - t to mention their parents - across the world. And his continuing success proves the timeless nature of A.A. Milne's stories, based upon the nursery toys played with by his own son, Christopher Robin. Thanks to the use of E.H. Shepard's charming original illustrations on this high quality slipcase, this gift set is sure to gain pride of place on the bookshelf of any family lucky eugh to receive it. Pooh ranks alongside other beloved character such as Paddington Bear, and Peter Rabbit as an essential part of our literary heritage. Whether you're 5 or 55, Pooh is the bear for all ages. A.A. Milne is quite simply one of the most famous children's authors of all time. He created Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger, Kanga and Roo based on the real nursery toys played with by his son, Christopher Robin. And those characters t only became the stars of his classic children's books, Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner, and his poetry for children, they have also been adapted for film, TV and the stage. Through his writings for Punch magazine, A.A. Milne met E.H. Shepard. Shepard went on to draw the original illustrations to accompany Milne's classics, earning him the name the man who drew Pooh .
- Author BiographyA.A. Milne grew up in a school - his parents ran Henley House in Kilburn, for young boys - but never intended to be a children's writer. Pooh he saw as a pleasant sideline to his main career as a playwright and regular scribe for the satirical literary magazine, Punch. Writing was very much the dominant feature of A.A. (Alan Alexander)'s life. He joined the staff of Punch in 1906, and became Assistant Editor. In the course of two decades he fought in the First World War, wrote some 18 plays and three novels, and fathered a son, Christopher Robin Milne, in 1920 (although he described the baby as being more his wife's work than his own!). Observations of little Christopher led Milne to produce a book of children's poetry, When We Were Very Young, in 1924, and in 1926 the seminal Winnie-the-Pooh. More poems followed in Now We Are Six (1927) and Pooh returned in The House at Pooh Corner (1928). After that, in spite of enthusiastic demand, Milne declined to write any more children's stories as he felt that, with his son growing up, they would now only be copies based on a memory. In one way, Christopher Robin turned out to be more famous than his father, though he became uncomfortable with his fame as he got older, preferring to avoid the literary limelight and run a bookshop in Dartmouth. Nevertheless, he published three volumes of his reminiscences before his death in 1996.
- Author(s)A. A. Milne
- PublisherEgmont UK Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/2010
- FormatMultiple copy pack
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEgmont Books Ltd
- Weight3164 g
- Width105 mm
- Height140 mm
- Spine125 mm
- Illustrator(s)E. H. Shepard
- Contained items statement30 Multiple copy packs
- Interest AgeFrom 3
Most relevant reviews
- martau_e6emo11 Jul, 2015by
great value great product
This box set is lovely it was a birthday gift for my granddaughter and she loves it I would recommend this item .
- peieb_gai17 May, 2016by
Special Collection - Great Value!
I bought this Winnie the Pooh collection for my nephew's first birthday, and was delighted with the gorgeous collection of children's classics. The item came really quickly, well wrapped and I was so pleased with quality of the small books.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
- toocute5407 Jan, 2016by
Beautifully boxed set of 30 lovely books
A lovely collection of books for you to read to your little child. Comes in a beautiful boxed set of 30 little books, so a wonderful heirloom of the future.