Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.10
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.94
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.68
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.26
- AU $12.24Trending at AU $21.04
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.66
About this product
- DescriptionNick Allen is an average, football-mad thirteen year-old boy, who attends the local grammar school. Like the majority of grammar schools at the time their sporting preference is rugby rather than football. However, this year the headmaster has allowed an under-15 team to complete for the Benevolent Cup. If they are successful he would allow football to be played throughout the school. When Nick is selected to play for the team, his inclusion is t welcomed by a few members of the team who are against third years playing in the fourth year team. In his private life, Nick is dishourably discharged from the scouts and resolves to find a new hobby. So following in the footsteps of his hero Sherlock Holmes he decides to become a Consultant Detective. His first case is to find out who is running a protection racket at his school. Set in St Albans in the early sixties, we follow the fortunes of Nick and his two best friends Keith and Don through the school year. In six short stories the friends encounter a female Russian spy, a crazed geography teacher, white slave traders and a revengeful WW2 fighter pilot. As the year progresses the boys also struggle with their adolescence as their thoughts turn to girls. This book will evoke memories of the swinging sixties, the music and the scandals of the time.
- Author BiographyAllen Nicklin was born in St Albans in 1949 and has lived there ever since. Allen attended the Marshalswick School for Boys before taking an apprenticeship with Eastern Gas Board. In 1978 he qualified as a teacher and taught various subjects at the Hertfordshire College of Building and the St Albans College of Further Education. In 2004 he took up the position of Lecturer in Mathematics at Richmond upon Thames College before retiring in 2012. In 2009 Allen started writing short stories for his friends and family following a dare. This is his first published novel. Allen is married with two daughters.
- Author(s)Allen Nicklin
- Date of Publication01/02/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight268 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.