Wish You Were Here: The Lives, Loves and Friendships of the Butlin's Girls by Lynn Russell, Neil Hanson (Paperback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTouching true stories from the heyday of the Butlin's holiday camps. 'When I got to the camp I felt as if I'd suddenly walked into Utopia - it was so colourful, so warm, so friendly. There were lights across the roads, there were banners fluttering in the breeze...There seemed to be laughter coming from every building.' With grey post-WWII skies hanging low over Britain, factories lining the streets and smoke stacks dotting the horizon, there was one way that ordinary families could escape: the ever-cheerful holiday camps of Butlin's. When Billy Butlin founded his holiday camps in 1936, they were bastions of community spirit and havens of luxury. Here, for one week, wives and mothers were freed from the toil and drudgery of housework, children ran free through the grounds, fathers and husbands hung up their work clothes. Ever-helpful redcoats were on hand all hours of the day, dinner halls ready with plentiful food for old and young alike, bars stocked to quench any level of thirst, ballrooms waiting to be flooded with shiny shoes, rustling dresses and peals of laughter. And, as the sun went down on ather exhausting, happy day, a chorus line was ready to sing holidaymakers back to their beds. Rich in period detail and highly evocative, Wish You Were Here! tells the story of seven women who worked as redcoats in Butlin's Golden Age. It's all here: Kbbly Knees and Glamourous Grannies, the laughter and tears, hardships and heartbreaks, loves and losses of their lives in and out of the holiday camps, and above all the lifelong friendships they formed with each other and those who also worked or holidayed there. Funny, moving and heartwarming, these are the timeless tales of a community spirit that burned brightly in a much-loved British institution.
- Author BiographyNeil Hanson is the author of many highly reviewed narrative histories, including the bestselling The Sweethearts, which featured highly in The Sunday Times Best Seller List. His writing partner and wife, Lynn Russell - who co-authored The Sweethearts - has written and performed for a theatre company; run two successful small businesses; and currently combines writing with work as a designer for a spa and wellness group.
- Author(s)Lynn Russell,Neil Hanson
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication19/06/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHarperCollins Publishers Ltd
- Weight290 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.23New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.