All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Parsee Punch made its mark as the only illustrated comic weekly paper in the Bombay Presidency. It was published in July 1854 at the Apyakhtiar Press by Dadabhai Soheri from 12 Elphinstone Circle, Fort, Bombay. Parsee Punch appeared in four sheets, demy quarto, with English and Gujarati letterpress below the illustrations. Soon, a monthly selection of the cartoon, cuts and sketches appeared as the Pickings. Like the London Punch, it contained 24 to 36 pages full of humorous illustrations. Four years later, it changed its name to Hindi Punch to broaden its base. It continued to be published until the 1930s. Parsee Punch was always much more than that. If the cartoons were meant to enliven the dull motony of our every-day lives, then the Parsee Punch did just that. If, on the other hand, they were meant to be skillfully designed and drawn, then the job was equally well done. The Parsee Punch highlighted the relationship between public culture and colonialism. The cartoons they published illustrate, in a lighter vein, contemporary anxieties and predicaments in a witty satirical fashion. Wit and Wisdom: Pickings from the Parsee Punch presents a selection from the publication.
- Author BiographyProfessor Mushirul Hasan is an internationally renowned historian, prolific author and former Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Milia Islamia University, Delhi. Professor Hasan has also authored Partners in Freedom: Jamia Milia Islamia (Niyogi Books, 2006);Mutiny Memoirs (Niyogi Books, 2009); and The Avadh Punch: Wit and Humour in Colonial North India (2007) as part of the Punch series brought out by Niyogi Books. He has written extensively on the Partition of India, on communalism and on the histories of Islam in South Asia. Professor Hasan was the elected President of the Indian History Congress in 2002. In 2007, he was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India and in 2010 the Ordre des Palmes Academiques was conferred upon him by the French Government. He is presently the Director-General of the National Archives of India. His next book is Gandhi, Islam and The Nation.
- Author(s)Mushirul Hasan
- PublisherNiyogi Books
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- SubjectGraphic Novels: General
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintNiyogi Books
- Content Note1
- Weight612 g
- Width210 mm
- Height310 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $31.07New
- AU $21.61New
- AU $43.96New
- AU $25.09New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.48Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.46
- AU $72.93Trending at AU $75.10
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.32
- AU $59.72Trending at AU $61.98
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.89
- AU $22.29Trending at AU $22.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.