All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionWitchfinder General (1968), kwn as The Conqueror Worm in America, was directed by Michael Reeves and occupies a unique place in British cinema. Equally praised and vilified, the film fictionalizes the exploits of Matthew Hopkins, a prolific, real-life witch hunter, during the English Civil War. For critic Mark Kermode, the release proved to be the single most significant horror film produced in the United Kingdom in the 1960s, while playwright Alan Bennett called the work the most persistently sadistic and rotten film I've ever seen. Steadily gaining a cult reputation, unimpeded by the director's death just months after the film's release, the film is w treated as a landmark, though problematic, accomplishment, as it exists in a number of recut, retitled, and rescored versions. This in-depth study positions the film within the history of horror and discusses its importance as a British and heritage film. It also considers the inheritance of Hopkins, the script's relationship to the vel by Ronald Bassett, and the iconic persona of the film's star, Vincent Price. Ian Cooper conducts close textual readings of specific scenes and explores the film's various contexts, from the creation of the X certificate and the tradition of Hammer gothic, to the influence on Ken Russell's The Devils (1971) and the torture porn of twenty-first-century horror.
- Author BiographyIan Cooper is a freelance writer and educator based in Germany.
- Author(s)Ian Cooper
- PublisherAuteur Publishing
- Date of Publication30/03/2011
- SubjectThe Arts: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLeighton Buzzard
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAuteur Publishing
- Content Note20 b&w illustrations
- Weight1000 g
- Width140 mm
- Height191 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.