All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen you're eighteen you don't get tired, you don't get cold, thing terrible will ever happen, and you can do anything with one hand tied behind your back. In With One Hand Tied Behind His Back: The Life and Times of Gail Stuart, say hello to Gail Stuart, an 18-year old college freshman falsely accused of stealing a midterm Geology test. Presuming they're nabbed, typical test thieves get an F for the test, possible expulsion, and--if the police are involved--arrest for a high misdemear. Unfortunately for Gail, new information makes the case a felony despite the fact that the word evidence seems to have disappeared. Gail is then joined by bribable and buyable administrators, dodging and ducking department heads, a cowardly martinet from the Board of Regents, and a babble of ble, corrupt, and partly corrupt students, fraternity hacks, instructors, proprietary secretaries, anxious editors, sleazy reporters, attorneys, cops, and local citizens, all either hoping Gail is incent or that he takes the rap. How he overcomes his dilemma is further convoluted by other avocations and unplanned adventures, a full course schedule, a sorority hasher's job, a fraternity membership, a couple of physical altercations, and even his own retail business. With One Hand Tied Behind His Back also presents the Stuart family. Roderick Bruce Stuart II, Gail's father, is a descendant of Charles II of England. His family has live in Minneapolis since the 1860s. Gail's mother, Charlotte Fairfax Stuart, comes from renegade Swiss mercenaries, degenerate French apaches, and more civilized Virginia farmers. Find out what she does with her life and how it influences her son. Finally, With One Hand Tied Behind His Back presents the Midwest college scene of 1954 where the expanding ecomy of post World War II and the GI Bill have increased the number of students, including women. One of them, the self-assured and competent Rebecca Brickerhaus, will share an adventure or two and fall in love with Gail Stuart. Ah, yes. How could it be otherwise?
- Author BiographyDick Ramsey is a values, morals and principles guy. Such attributes represent the essence of his book, One Hand Tied Behind His Back: The Life and Times of Gail Stuart. But he didn't start out that way. When they were handing out the virtues all he got was a strong dose of individualism that tends to run amuck without values, morals, and principles supporting its program. Still, as a reader he could get lucky. After college, he worked for one of those funny communications companies that are always in the news either suing or being sued. Later, he operated-without being sued-his own retail clothing business near Tucson, Arizona, and most recently saw success as an independent publisher's representative back in Minneapolis, his hometown. Along the way, he did get lucky. Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, and the history of ideas would stretch a lot of imaginations including his. The idea for With One Hand Tied Behind His Back included having protagonist Gail Stuart wrongly accused of a crime by characters perceived as entirely moral and above reproach. Then, in between juggling his business, classes, activities, and other adventures, Gail's consistent use reason, logic, and principle, would beat them at their own game.
- Author(s)Dick Ramsey
- Date of Publication17/03/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight839 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $21.55Trending at AU $22.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.