All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionEmmy Perez's poetry collection With the River on Our Face flows through the Southwest and the Texas borderlands to the river's mouth in the Rio Grande Valley/El Valle. The poems celebrate the land, communities, and ecology of the borderlands through lyric and narrative utterances, auditory and visual texture, chant, and litany that merge and diverge like the iconic river in this long-awaited collection. Perez reveals the strengths and nuances of a universe where word is foreign. Her fast-moving, evocative words illuminate the prayers, gasps, touches, and gritos born of everyday discoveries and events. Multiple forms of reference enrich the poems in the form of mantra: ecologist's field tes, geopolitical and ecofeminist observations, wildlife catalogs, trivia, and vigil chants. What is it to love / within viewing distance of night / vision goggles and guns? is a question central to many of these poems. The collection creates a poetic confluence of the personal, political, and global forces affecting border lives. Whether alluding to El Valle as a place where toxins w cross borders more easily than people or wildlife, or to increased militarization, immigrant seizures, and twenty-first-century wall-building, Perez's voice is intimate and urgent. She laments, We cant tattoo roses / On the wall / Can't tattoo Gloria Anzaldua's roses / On the wall ; yet, she also reaffirms Anzaldua's tions of hope through resilience and cocimiento. With the River on Our Face drips deep like water, turning into amistad- an inquisition into human relationships with planet and self.
- Author BiographyEmmy Perez earned her MFA from Columbia University and her BA from the University of Southern California, USA. She is an associate professor at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, where she teaches in the MFA in creative writing and Mexican American studies programs.
- Author(s)Emmy Perez
- PublisherUniversity of Arizona Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2017
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleCamino del Sol
- Place of PublicationTucson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Arizona Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight159 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.