All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis rich and perceptive book shatters the myth of the submissive Asian woman with its vivid portraits of women in the region. Drawing on her many years working in Asia, Louise Williams frames the issues facing women through the experiences of individuals. We are introduced to women as varied as politicians, call girls and mistresses, revolutionary heroines, laborers, and business magnates. Exploring the paths to power_both private and public_available to women in Asia, Williams has had remarkable access to both the famous and the faceless. She skillfully draws out the stories of extraordinary individuals ranging from Benazir Bhutto, Corazon Aqui, and Aung San Suu Kyi to the one-time Viet Cong commando, the Jakarta factory girl, the Korean publisher, and the Osecond wifeO in the Chinese mistress village that serves Hong KongOs wealthy men. Common themes emerge: the expectation that women will place their OdutiesO to their husbands at the forefront of their daily lives, whether or t they have their own vocations to pursue; the continuing importance placed on the need to bear male children; and the pervasive attitude among Asian men that extramarital relationships are their prerogative. We discover how a region that elects the worldOs first female prime minister at the same time tolerates child prostitution in Bangkok and Manila. We see how women can rise to the top of industrial conglomerates or be sold into servitude. Set in a vast region of ermous social disparity and rapid change, these unique stories dispel Western stereotypes and show just how often the concerns of women in Asia differ from those of women in the West.
- Author BiographyLouise Williams is the Jakarta correspondent for the Sydney Morning Herald and Age. She is the author of On the Wire: An Australian Journalist on the Front-line in Asia (Simon and Schuster).
- Author(s)Louise Williams
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication28/08/1998
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield
- Weight476 g
- Width155 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.