All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBoth critic and artist, Wolfgang Paalen was a highly influential figure in the culture of the Modernist movements of the 20th century. His work significantly informed Abstract Expressionism, especially with his periodical ^IDYN^R, published from 1942-1944, which became a seminal work for painters of that time. This is the first book-length work to demonstrate his importance and bring together the contexts-philosophical, scientific, anthropological, political, and cultural-in which he worked. Thus it provides a study t only of Paalen himself, but of the relationships between modernist art movements of Europe and America, including Expressionism, Cubism, and Surrealism-and the cultural, social, and political histories in which they developed. Carefully and thoroughly detailing the events of Paalen's life and the formation of his thinking, author Amy Winter shows how his biography, art, and thought come together in the six issues of ^IDYN^R, which continued an exploration initiated by the Surrealists and other avant-gardes, and which delved into many problems which have preoccupied art in the last two decades. Utilizing material gathered for the first time, including personal interviews and archives never before consulted, Winter offers a vivid portrayal of a painter, philosopher, critic, collector, journalist, editor, historian, and ethgrapher-in short, a 20th-century renaissance man.
- Author BiographyAMY WINTER is Director and Curator of the Godwin-Ternbach Museum at Queens College of The City University of New York./ Her credits include many articles and papers for national and international journals, and exhibitions and catalogues for public and private museums throughout the United States, Europe, and Mexico.
- Author(s)Amy Winter
- Date of Publication30/11/2002
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight663 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.