All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLooking at women, business and finance in the long nineteenth century, this book challenges our traditional understanding of 'separate spheres' -- whereby men operated in the public world of work and women in the private realm of the domestic. Drawing on case studies throughout Europe, this book reveals that there was much greater diversity in women's ecomic experience across all social strata than has previously been understood. International contributors take a new look at women's roles in finance and investment, family-owned businesses, retailing, service activities, and the artisanal trades. They reveal that elite and middle-class women often manipulated financial resources in a highly sophisticated manner. Family-owned businesses and retail trade geared to women, such as grocery and fashion, also offered women opportunities. Throughout, the book considers the impact of industrialization on women's ecomic agency and examines women in the accommodation business in London, female entrepreneurs in Italy, prostitutes in Germany, family businesses in Sweden, women in publishing in Spain and much more.
- Author BiographyRobert Beachy is Assistant Professor of History at Goucher College, USA. Beatrice Craig is Associate Professor of History at the University of Ottawa, Canada. Alastair Owens is Lecturer in Geography at Queen Mary, University of London.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/12/2005
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerg Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight367 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byBeatrice Craig,Dr. Alastair Owens,Robert Beachy
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.94Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.