Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $28.14Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.44+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first book to examine the troubled relationships between women, Islam and cinema. Film critic and author Gonul Donmez-Colin explores the role of women as spectators, images and image constructors in the cinemas of the countries where Islam is the predominant religion, focusing on Iran and Turkey from the Middle East, drawing parallels from Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, the two Central Asian Republics of the former Soviet Union, and Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Indonesia, the prominently Muslim Asian countries with a challenging film industry. Some of the relevant films made in India by and for Muslim Indians are also explored. Donmez-Colin examines prevalent cinematic archetypes, including the naive country girl who is deceived and dishoured, or the devious seductress who destroys the sanctity of marriage, and looks well at controversial elements such as screen rape, which, feminist film critics claim, caters to male voyeurism. She also discusses recurring themes, such as the myths of femininity, the endorsement of polygamy and the obsession with male children, as well as the most common stereotypes, depicting women as mothers, wives and daughters. Given the diversity of cultures, rather than viewing national cinemas as aspects of a single development, the author focuses on individual histories, traditions and social and ecomic circumstances as points of reference, which are examined in the context of social and political evolution and the status of women within Islam. Women, Islam and Cinema is a much-needed and timely work that will appeal to the curious reader as well as to the student of film.
- Author BiographyGonul Donmez-Colin is a film scholar specializing in the cinemas of the Middle East and Central Asia. Among her recent books are Turkish Cinema (Reaktion Books, 2008), Cinemas of the Other: A Personal Journey with Filmmakers from the Middle East and Central Asia (2006) and The Cinema of North Africa and the Middle East (ed.) (2007).
- Author(s)Gonul Donmez-Colin
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication24/09/2004
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleLocations S.
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note75 black & white illustrations
- Weight253 g
- Width120 mm
- Height170 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.24
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.