All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWomen, Men and Language has long been established as a seminal text in the field of language and gender, providing an account of the many ways in which language and gender intersect. In this pioneering book, bestselling author Jennifer Coates explores linguistic gender differences, introducing the reader to a wide range of sociolinguistic research in the field. Written in a clear and accessible manner, this book introduces the idea of gender as a social construct, and covers key topics such as conversational practice, same sex talk, conversational dominance, and children's acquisition of gender-differentiated language, discussing the social and linguistic consequences of these patterns of talk. Here reissued as a Routledge Linguistics Classic, this book contains a brand new preface which situates this text in the modern day study of language and gender, covering the postmodern shift in the understanding of gender and language, and assessing the book's impact on the field. Women, Men and Language continues to be essential reading for any student or researcher working in the area of language and gender.
- Author BiographyJennifer Coates is Emeritus Professor of English Language and Linguistics at the University of Roehampton, UK.
- Author(s)Jennifer Coates
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/12/2015
- Series TitleRoutledge Linguistics Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight414 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.