Women, Soccer and Transnational Migration by Taylor & Francis Ltd (Hardback, 2014)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEstimated participation figures of almost 30 million worldwide make soccer the most prominent team sport amongst girls and women. However, making a living as a female player is only deemed possible in approximately 20 out of around 150 FIFA-listed women's soccer countries. This has led to a situation where highly skilled sports women have to migrate from their homelands to find employment with a professional team. Women, Soccer and Transnational Migration represents a substantial contribution to our kwledge on the development of women's soccer, to research into sports labor migration and sport and globalization more broadly. The book consists of three parts. Firstly, it provides an overview and an analysis of migration in women's soccer from its earliest forms until w. It then presents several case studies, delivered by scholars from around the world, illustrating how female players are increasingly being drawn to the USA, Northern Europe and Scandinavia due to their ability to support professional leagues. Finally, all the themes and patterns of these case studies are drawn together to be able to compare and contrast migration in women's soccer to sport migration and globalization more broadly. This study t only makes recommendations for future researchers, but may also serve as an important source of information for those in charge of policy. As such, it is essential reading for students, lecturers, researchers and practitioners involved in sports migration and women's sport.
- Author BiographySine Agergaard is a social anthropologist and an associate professor at Aarhus University, Denmark. Her research on migration issues within sports has been published in a number of articles and books. She is currently the head of a Nordic collaborative research project studying the case of women's soccer migration. Nina Clara Tiesler is a sociologist and a religious studies and migration scholar. She is a senior lecturer at Leibniz University of Hannover, Germany, and is an associated research fellow at the University of Lisbon, Portugal. She coordinated the international study Diasbola and held the Joao Havelange Grant in 2012-13.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/07/2014
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note17 black & white tables
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byNina Clara Tiesler,Sine Agergaard
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.