All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfghanistan is regarded as a classical patriarchal' society, where old social tradition, religious doctrine and socio-ecomic and cultural backwardness have made women second-class citizens. But how have women -- on different levels -- lived in Afghanistan? How have they been treated, both in the private sphere and in public? And how did they resist mistreatment during the war inside Afghanistan, in refugee camps or in diaspora? Who are the sponsors and perpetrators of human rights violations against Afghanistani women? What are the connections between Islam, local customs, the mistreatment of women, and women's connectedness to revolution and jihad? This book provides answers to these questions through an invative study of the life and short stories of one of the country's leading female writers, Maryam Mahboob. If offers a completely different image of both the suffering and resistance of Afghanistani women than that we in the West' have come to kw.
- Author BiographyDr Faridullah Bezhan was born and grew up in Afghanistan, where he taught literature at Kabul University. He is now a Senior Research Fellow at the Monash Asia Institute, Monash University Australia. He has published several books and articles in English and Persian on the history and literature of Afghanistan, especially the work of the countrys prominent and emerging female authors.
- Author(s)Faridullah Bezhan
- PublisherMonash University Publishing
- Date of Publication01/06/2016
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationClayton, VIC
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintMonash University Publishing
- Weight350 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.