Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $35.82Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $7.54+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWomen have long been the mainstay of communities and heavily involved in community initiatives in various guises. Though often the unsung heros of community action, women's role in a community's growth and development has become increasingly important in a globalising world that has changed considerably since the first edition of this classic text was published. In Britain, for example, women are making a vital contribution to New Labour's 'regeneration strategies' in local communities and central to the social inclusion agenda. Women are also central to sustainable development projects in countries in the South. Drawing on women's experience of community work and community action, this revised edition explores these developments and the reasons for the limited increases in women's well-being. Linking historical material to the present, Women and Community Action examines the ways in which women organise to secure social change that enhances the quality of life at individual and community levels. And, it provides practical skills to enhance capacity building alongside a discussion of theoretical and conceptual issues. As well as focusing on women, the book discusses gender relations more widely and highlights the differentiated position of both men and women in community work. It considers how the gender gap might be bridged in terms of building more socially cohesive communities that promote egalitarian social relations. Aimed primarily at students of social work, community work, sociology and social policy, practitioners and policy makers will also find the book an invaluable resource. BASW/Policy Press series The BASW/Policy Press partnership provides the very best in accessible and practical high-quality resources for social work professionals and students. For other titles in this series, please follow the series link from the main catalogue page.
- Author BiographyLena Dominelli is Professor of Social and Community Development at the University of Southampton and Director of CISCODEV. Her extensive knowledge as a practitioner, researcher and educator is reflective in the extensive and impressive list of publications in the fields of social work, social policy and sociology, including Social Work; Broadening Horizons; Anti-Oppressive Social Work Theory and Practice; Feminist Social Work Theory and Practice; Anti-Racist Social Work; Sociology for Social Work; and Women Across Continents.
- Author(s)Lena Dominelli
- PublisherPolicy Press
- Date of Publication10/05/2006
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleBASW/Policy Press Titles
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolicy Press
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.