All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionBased on the thorough examination of French archival sources, this book examines in detail two industries in which women formed the majority of the workforce in France between 1890 and 1914. The choice of the tobacco and hat industries is particularly relevant in the sense that the tobacco industry, unlike the hat industry, was a state mopoly in which women were in the majority and held meaningful responsibilities in unions at a time when women were generally in the mirity and under-represented in the labour movement. The main aim of this comparison is to assess and qualify differences between both industries in terms of workforce and work organisation, trade unions' attitudes to women and women's membership and participation in order to get a better understanding of the factors that could have had an impact on female workers' attitude towards trade unions. By making women's presence more visible, therefore more apprehensible, this book contributes to a better understanding of the way in which women perceived themselves, and were perceived, as workers, women, union members and militants in French trade union history prior to 1914.
- Author BiographySandra Salin teaches French language and French studies at Newcastle University. She is particularly interested in language teaching and learning as well as the history of the labour movement in France, with a particular focus on women's role and status in this movement.
- Author(s)Sandra Salin
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication18/08/2014
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleTrade Unions Past, Present and Future
- Series Part/Volume Number22
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note48, Figures, Tables
- Weight600 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.