All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Women in College, feminist and sociologist Mirra Komarovsky interviewed women who entered Barnard College in the fall of 1979, finding that the demands of college life facilitated and occasionally forced many of these women to change their self-concept. Many felt trapped between new ideals of femininity - including action, vigor, rational competence, and effectiveness - and traditional tions of femininity, centered around emotional nurturance, passivity and kindness. This study forms the basis of her critique of the struggle that arose from the differences in what were seen as the mutually exclusive roles of homemaker and those who pursued work outside the home.
- Author BiographyMirra Komarovsky was professor emeritus of sociology at Barnard College and Past-President of the American Sociological Association. Michael S. Kimmel teaches at the State University of New York at Stony Brook.
- Author(s)Mirra Komarovsky
- PublisherAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication28/07/2004
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleClassics in Gender Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Place of PublicationCalifornia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables
- Weight608 g
- Width163 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byMichael S. Kimmel
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementUpdated Edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.