All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWomen in Terrorism examines the growing number of women actively engaged in terrorist activity and considers the significance of this for theorising gender, conflict and social politics. Toward that end, the book studies Tamil women combatants of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), an armed resistance group identified as one of the deadliest terrorist groups globally. Drawing on narrative life histories, the book canvasses three decades of eth-nationalist war in Sri Lanka contributing to a major social change for Tamil women in Jaffna. It identifies the LTTE as providing an 'alternative' familial kinship founded upon friendship, which transcends caste and religion. The book reveals that the LTTE combatant woman's paradoxical equality may differ from Western feminist tions of emancipation, but represents a profound change within its own patriarchal society. This original book presents the argument that engagement in armed conflict has transformed combatant women's understanding of themselves into female slayers of injustice and protectors of the Tamil nation, with a (re)constructed gender identity and sense of empowerment.
- Author BiographyTamara Herath is a Criminal Justice Manager for a Policing organization in Central London, UK. She has had a long career in criminal justice with many years of working in the Crown Prosecution Service. She was awarded the prestigious Bramshill Fellowship to facilitate the research that forms the basis of the book. Dr Herath obtained a doctorate from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), London. Her current publications include articles titled, In My Honour: Contextualising Rape in Suicide Bombing (2006), and Black Widows, Army of Roses, and Armed Virgins: An Overview of Women's Involvement in Suicide Bombings (2006). She is in the process of writing a co-edited book with Dr Sabine Grenz from Humboldt Universitat, Berlin, with a working title of Gender, Security and War.
- Author(s)Tamara Herath
- PublisherSAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd
- Date of Publication12/09/2011
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintSAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd
- Weight408 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.