Women of the Way: Embracing the Camino by Jane V Blanchard (Paperback / softback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $31.75Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat do you like most when reading about adventures: descriptions about the terrain, the culture, the challenges, the personal growth, the interactions between other adventures? Women of the Way: Embracing the Cami successfully combines all these elements in a heartfelt and personal recounting of Jane V. Blanchard's 2011 five-hundred mile pilgrimage on the Cami de Santiago-hiking from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port in France over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles in Spain, and then westward across rthern Spain to Santiago de Compostella. For over a millennium, Christians have made this pilgrimage to the cathedral in Santiago, where the remains of St. James the apostle are entombed. Today, this journey is kwn as a European Cultural Itinerary, attracting people from around the world. In 2011, more than 183,000 people completed the pilgrimage; 44% of these pilgrims were women. Though Women of the Way is about Jane's journey on the Cami de Santiago (also kwn as The Way ) and discussions with women she met on the pilgrimage, this is t a chic book. It is about embracing the Cami, the personal changes, and the beauty and appeal of the most popular of all the pilgrimages to Santiago de Compostela, the Cami Frances. - Discover why people from around the world walk the Cami. - Learn how to prepare for the Cami, about the daily rituals in long-distance walking, and the camaraderie shared among these modern-day pilgrims. - Visualize the beauty of rthern Spain through Jane's vivid descriptions. - Understand why so many people embrace the Cami. An articulate, well-observed and thoughtful look at walking the Cami. Adam Nathan I felt as though I, too, was a pilgrim as I saw the beautiful landscapes Jane described, felt the tiredness she experienced, enjoyed the food along with her, laughed and cried with her. Elizabeth Chandler My husband, John (62), and I are reading your book while we prepare to walk the Cami in May of 2013. We are loving it! I like your honesty and factual approach. Your descriptions have caused us to laugh and almost cry at times. Thank you! We are reading a little each day and John reminds me to bring the book in the car or to bed. The spirit of the Cami is already appearing in our relationship as we prepare. I can see a change and it is wonderful! Kim Todaro
- Author BiographyJane V. Blanchard, author and public speaker, was born in Hartford, Connecticut. She lived in Hampstead, New Hampshire, twenty-three years before moving to Sarasota, Florida, where she now resides. In Florida, Jane became active in several organizations benefiting women and hosted a weekly radio talk show, Women Matters. Jane loves the outdoors. She climbed her first mountain, Mount Washington, in 1974. Since that initial ascent, Jane has climbed twenty of the forty 4,000-foot mountains in New England. She started mountain bike racing at age 50; in 2002, she won second place in the Masters Division EFTA Championship Series. In September and October 2011, Jane, now a sexagenarian, hiked the Camino de Santiago, a 500-mile pilgrimage across northern Spain. As she walked, she talked with women from different nations. The book, Women of the Way: Embracing the Camino, weaves these conversations with Jane's journey. When Jane married in 1974, her husband, Dennis and she joked about creating a lifetime of memories to chat about when sitting in theirs rockers in old age. At 61 years old, Jane is still creating memories, experiencing life as fully as possible, and looking forward to a long future.
- Author(s)Jane V Blanchard
- Date of Publication07/05/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectWalking / Hiking & Activity Maps & Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight349 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.