All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn recent years, healthcare professionals have recognized the distinctly different healthcare needs and concerns of men and women. Women's health, in particular, has come into its own in the last two decades. In Canada, however, there has been little available in the way of a general text on women's health. This volume works toward filling that gap by providing a resource for teaching and understanding women's health in this country. To lay out the methodological and theoretical foundations for their study, editors Olena Hankivisky, Marina Morrow, and Colleen Varcoe bring together an interdisciplinary group of scholars and practitioners from ecomics, anthropology, sociology, nursing, political studies, women's studies, and psychology. Contributors draw on the rich history of the Canadian women's health movement, providing analysis of that history and of the emergent theory, policy, and practice. Aimed at undergraduate and graduate students as well as practitioners, the collection adopts an intersectional approach, looking closely at social factors such as gender, race, ethnicity, class, sexuality, and gender identity, and analysing how they relate both to each other and to women's health. Connections between the social, ecomic, and cultural contexts of women's lives and their physical, spiritual, and mental well-being are a primary focus. Providing a much needed resource for teachers, students, and practitioners of women's health in Canada, this comprehensive volume makes an important contribution to the literature.
- Author BiographyMarina Morrow is an assistant professor in the Faculty of Health Sciences and co-director of the Institute for Critical Studies in Gender and Health at Simon Fraser University. Olena Hankivksy is an associate professor in the School of Public Policy at Simon Fraser University. Colleen Varcoe is an associate professor in the School of Nursing at the University of British Columbia.
- Author(s)Marina Morrow,Olena Hankivsky
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2007
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note5
- Weight880 g
- Width160 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Edited byColleen Varcoe,Marina Morrow,Olena Hankivisky
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.