All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Written in a highly accessible style, this volume should be particularly useful for newcomers to the subject of women's magazines as research objects...[it] offers a fresh and theoretically rigorous appraisal.' - Women: A Cultural Review This book integrates new material from the eighteenth and nineteenth century periodical press, research with contemporary readers, the authors' critical reading of past and present magazines and a clear discussion of theoretical approaches from literary criticism, sociology and cultural theory. The development of the genre, and its part in the historical process of forging modern definitions of gender, class and race are analysed through critical readings and a discussion of readers' negotiations with the contradictory pleasures of the magazine and its constricting ideal of femininity.
- Author BiographyROS BALLASTER is Lecturer in English at the University of East Anglia. MARGARET BEETHAM is Senior Lecturer in the Department of English and History at Manchester Polytechnic. ELIZABETH FRAZER is Fellow and Tutor in Politics at New College, Oxford. SANDRA HEBRON is Media Officer at Cornerhouse, Manchester's Arts and Media Centre.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Frazer,Margaret Beetham,Ros Ballaster,Sandra Hebron,etc.
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication05/08/1991
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Series TitleWomen in Society S.
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight271 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $6.15New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.59Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.