All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.80Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionNo comprehensive study of Early Middle English derivation has been published thus far. This book is an attempt to remedy the situation, at least to give a detailed analysis of one class of suffixes, i.e., seven suffixes forming abstract uns. They are both of native (-dom, -s(c)hipe(e), -hod(e) and nes(se)) and French origin (-age, -(e)rie and -ment). The analysis includes the semantics of the suffixes both from a diachronic and a synchronic perspective as well as their productivity and dialect distribution. The study is data-oriented, hence the analysis of linguistic facts is dominating. The analysed material comes from the Dictionary of Old English (A-F) based on the Toronto Corpus of Old English Texts, the Toronto Corpus and the Middle English Dictionary on-line. The unique features of the study are the account of the senses of the suffixes in Old and Early Middle English, and the semantic evolution of the native suffixes from Old to Early Middle English as well as the demonstration that some of the French suffixes were productive already in Early Middle English.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Ewa Ciszek, born in 1978, received her Ph.D. degree under the supervision of Professor Jacek Fisiak from Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan (Poland) in 2005. She is currently employed as a Lecturer at the School of English; her research interests focus on various aspects of English historical linguistics, in particular historical wordformation and historical dialectology.
- Author(s)Ewa Ciszek
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/09/2008
- Series TitleStudies in English Medieval Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number23
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight200 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.